Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, situated within the southern phase of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was a sleepy seaside the town that attracted hippie sorts who most popular the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the ultimate decade or so, even though, the hippies had been overtaken via influencers, boho-chic virtual nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whilst I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m now not a large fan of Tulum at the moment.
However that’s simply me. Loads of 1000’s of other folks seek advice from every 12 months and love their time there. Commute is subjective, in any case.
House to one of the vital best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is indisputably an attractive slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum protected?
That is dependent upon who you ask.
The Out of the country Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “rather protected” — even though there used to be no less than one kidnapping of a vacationer there previous this 12 months, and two ladies had been killed via gang crossfire whilst eating at a cafe in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the data from america State Division says to “workout larger warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the file stated, “Don’t go back and forth to”).
That stated, I’ve visited Tulum a couple of occasions now — and feature road-tripped across the area — and not felt unsafe. Certain, you wish to have to stay your wits about you and stay an eye fixed out for petty robbery, however that’s what you will have to do any place you go back and forth.
That can assist you perceive extra in regards to the town and come to a decision if you are feeling at ease visiting, this is the whole thing you wish to have to grasp to stick protected in Tulum.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Vacationers?
In most cases, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ pastime to take the time to stay tourist-heavy locations like Tulum protected. If vacationers get started getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will forestall coming, native companies will undergo, and, in consequence, there would then most certainly be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
In the event you workout some warning, as you will have to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll most likely keep away from any critical problems.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is normally protected for solo feminine vacationers. That stated, feminine vacationers have further issues and will have to workout much more warning. Don’t stroll on my own at night time, for instance, whilst in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody except you noticed it being poured or made. And all the time control your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Protected?
Taxi drivers have a horny unhealthy popularity regardless of the place you’re on the earth. I’m satisfied to file that that popularity does now not prolong to this beach the town. Simply make sure to agree on a worth sooner than you leave.
Taxis are abundant in Tulum so generally you will have to now not have an issue discovering one. If unsure, even though, have your resort or hostel name one for you so you’ll make sure to get a credible driving force.
Is Renting a Automobile in Tulum Protected?
There are some condominium automobile scams that vacationers will have to pay attention to — now not simply in Tulum however any place in Mexico. It’s rather commonplace, for instance, to hire a automobile on-line after which display up on the workplace simplest to be informed that they don’t have any vehicles at the present time.
The opposite factor is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re simplest instructed about on the ultimate minute, so bear in mind whilst you ebook that it’s possible you’ll get the deal that you just suppose you’re getting.
With the exception of those problems, it’s protected to hire a automobile in Tulum.
To search out the most efficient condominium automobile offers, use Uncover Vehicles.
Is There an Factor with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has larger in Tulum, and nearly all of it’s drug-related gang job. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have larger via a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is most commonly gang-on-gang violence and now not geared toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medicine whilst in Mexico on the whole, and Tulum particularly. You’re simply inviting threat.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water far and wide Mexico — now not simply in Tulum — is infamous for now not being as blank because it may well be. That is going for ice cubes too. To find out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can on occasion be sweltering, and sipping iced beverages may well be refreshing, however it will be even worse to be caught for your resort room with abdomen problems since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that used to be infected with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t probably the most eco-friendly factor, but if in Tulum, keep on with it, simply to be protected. You’ll additionally deliver a LifeStraw bottle, which has a integrated clear out to be sure that your water is all the time blank and protected to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Evening in Tulum?
It’s now not advisable — particularly should you’re on my own. Making issues extra sophisticated, the seaside resorts and the middle of the town don’t seem to be essentially a snappy jaunt from every different on foot, so that you will have to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are plentiful in Tulum.
So, except it’s a really perfect quick distance, don’t stroll at night time in Tulum.
10 Protection Pointers for Tulum
Tulum is without doubt one of the extra reliably protected spots in Mexico. That stated, you will have to nonetheless workout warning, in particular whilst you go away the closely touristed spaces of the town. Right here are a few things to remember:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at night time, keep very alert and conscious of your setting. Do your ultimate to slot in.
2. Stay your telephone out of the succeed in of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so stay your telephone out of the succeed in of others always. In the event you stroll round swinging your smartphone in all places, it’s possible you’ll in finding that merchandise all of sudden lacking.
3. Stay your valuables at house – In a similar way, in case you have a large number of great jewellery and/or a pricey watch, stay it at house or within the resort room protected. You don’t wish to draw in the fallacious roughly consideration.
4. Be wary at night time should you’re touring on my own – Tulum isn’t probably the most bad position at night time, however in some puts, it’s now not as smartly lit appropriately. Don’t stroll round on my own past due at night time if you’ll keep away from it — particularly between the middle of the town and the beachfront resort zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – In the event you don’t have world roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply ensure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Be informed some Spanish – Uttering a couple of phrases of the native language is all the time a just right factor. It may possibly open doorways and will let you are compatible in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Consider of your cash – Don’t raise each and every peso you have got for your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some for your pockets, some within the resort protected, some for your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you are going to nonetheless have cash secured somewhere else.
8. Obtain the Prey app for your telephone and computer – In case your telephone or your computer will get stolen, the Prey app permits you to monitor the place it’s. You’ll set up the app free of charge after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if you wish to have to trace your stolen software. Prey too can turn on your telephone’s digicam and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when the use of ATMs – Most effective use ATMs within a financial institution. No longer simplest can skimmers be put on outside ATMs (to scouse borrow your PIN), however robberies are a lot more commonplace at them. To stick protected, simplest use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whilst the seashores in Tulum are shocking, the riptides will also be bad. By no means stray too some distance from shore, simply to be protected. In the event you’re now not a powerful swimmer, keep on with the pool.
So, Must You Talk over with Tulum?
Relating to protection, sure. As I stated above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous couple of years, however should you’re now not looking for out medicine — and also you actually shouldn’t be — then most likely you’ll keep away from experiencing this type of problems.
My Maximum Necessary Recommendation
Purchase go back and forth insurance coverage. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to head fallacious on journeys. Nevertheless it does on occasion — which I’ve realized from revel in. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my equipment wreck in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whilst it’s now not amusing to consider, unhealthy issues can occur when you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means go away house with out go back and forth insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly should you’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few greenbacks an afternoon, you’ll get a security internet that guarantees that you just received’t move bankrupt will have to one thing unhealthy and sudden occur.
Don’t reasonable out to your well being and protection. It’s now not definitely worth the chance.
Right here’s the whole thing you wish to have to learn about selecting a complete insurance coverage plan.
Tulum has temporarily change into the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting all kinds of people that gravitate right here for its shocking white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the effectively preserved Mayan ruins.
Whilst it’s a normally protected position for vacationers, you will have to all the time be alert and workout warning when you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll be capable of have a amusing — and protected — seek advice from.
Guide Your Travel: Logistical Pointers and Tips
Guide Your Flight
Discover a reasonable flight via the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite seek engine as it searches internet sites and airways all over the world so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
Guide Your Lodging
You’ll ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace rather then a hostel, use Reserving.com because it constantly returns the most affordable charges for guesthouses and resorts.
Don’t Disregard Commute Insurance coverage
Commute insurance coverage will offer protection to you in opposition to sickness, damage, robbery, and cancellations. It’s complete coverage in case the rest is going fallacious. I by no means move on a travel with out it as I’ve had to make use of it again and again previously. My favourite firms that supply the most efficient carrier and price are:
Wish to go back and forth free of charge?
Commute bank cards can help you earn issues that may be redeemed free of charge flights and lodging. They’re what stay me touring such a lot for therefore little. Take a look at my information to selecting the correct card and my present favorites to get began and spot the newest ultimate offers.
In a position to Guide Your Travel?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the most efficient firms to make use of whilst you go back and forth. I listing all of the ones I exploit after I go back and forth. They’re the most efficient in school and you’ll’t move fallacious the use of them to your travel.